Our pets can’t understand what fireworks are about. To them, the loud noises and bright flashes are scary and unexpected and our pets often want to escape from what is a high-stress situation for them.
There are ways you can prepare for Firework season in order to help your pets stay calm:
- Make sure your pets have a safe space or den where they feel comfortable.
- Check when displays are being held, keep your pets inside, and try to sound-proof your house by drawing curtains and keeping windows and doors shut.
- Introduce background noise using the TV or radio to make the sound of fireworks less obvious.
- Try to act normally as your pet will look to you for reassurance.
- Make sure your pet’s microchip information is up-to-date just in case of escape. This is a legal requirement for dogs and highly recommended for cats.
- Use a pheromone or natural calming product to help manage your pet’s anxiety. Just ask your team about the best products available.
Start to prepare now for Firework Season and help your pets to manage their firework fear or noise phobia. For further tips and advice, get in touch today!